2011年1月9日星期日

Retired tired

I said I was determined to find out who did it, whereupon she said she would do her best to help me; but she remembered she sweep lighting the fire with a bit of the echo, I requested the sweep to be sent to me tomorrow. I wish Carrie had not given Lupin a latch-key; we never seem to see anything of him. I sat up till past one for him, and then retired tired.

My entry yesterday about "retired tried," which I did not notice at the time, is rather funny. If I were not so sweep called, but had the audacity to come up to the hall-door and lean his dirty bag of soot on the door -step. He, however was so polite, I could not rebuke him. He said Sarah lighted the fire. Unfortunately, Sarah heard this, for she was dusting the banisters, and she randown, and flew into a temper with the sweep, causing a row on the front of door-steps, which I would not have had happen for anything. I ordered her about her business, and told the sweep I was sorry to have troubled him; and so I was, for the door-steps were covered with soot in consequence of his visit. I would willingly give ten shilings to find out who tore my diary.

没有评论:

发表评论