2010年7月20日星期二

A conversation with Mr. Merton

Cummings called, bringing with him his friend Merton, who is the wine trade, Gowing also called Mr. Merton made himself at home at once, and Carrie and I were both struck with him immediately, and thoroughly approved of his sentiments.

He leaned back in his chair and said:" you must take me as I am;" and I replied;" Yes-and you must take us as we are. We're homely people, we are not swells."

He answered:" No, I can see that," and Gowing roared with laughter; but Merton in a most gentlemanly manner said to Gowing:" I don't think you quite understand me. I intended to convey that our charming host and hostess were superior to the follies of fashion, and preferred leading a simple and wholesome life to gadding about to twopenny-halfpenny tea-drinking afternoons, and living above their incomes."

I was immensely pleased with these sensible remarks of Merton's, and concluded that subject by saying:" No, candidly, Mr. Merton, we don't go into Society, because we do not care for it; and what with the expense of cabs here and cabs there, and white gloves and white ties, ets., it doesn't seem worth the money."

Merton said in reference to FRIENDS: "My motton is 'Few and True'; and ,by the way, I also apply that to wine, 'Little and Good.'" Gowing said:" Yes, and sometimes 'cheap and tasty', eh, old man?" Merton, still continuing, said he should treat as a friend, and put me down for a dozen of his "Lockanbar" whisky, and as I was an old friend of Gowing, I should have it for 36s., which was considerably under what he paid for it.

He booked his own order, and further said that at any time I wanted any passes for the theatre I was to let him know, as his name stood good for any theatre in London.

没有评论:

发表评论