2010年7月15日星期四

The one about entrance

At three o'clock Cummings and Gowing called for a good long walk over Hampstead and Finchley, and brought with them a friend named Stillbrook. We walked and chatted together, except Stillbrook, who was always a few yards behind us staring at the ground and cutting at the grass with his stick.

As it was getting on for five, we four held a consultation, and Gowing suggested that we should make for "The Cow and Hedge" and get some tea, Stillbrook said:" A brandy-and-soda was good enough for him." I reminded them that all public-houses were closed till six o'clock. Stillbrook said, "That;s all right-BONA-FIDE travellers."

We arrived; and as I was trying to pass, the man in charge ofthe gate said:" Where from?" I replied:" Holloway." He immediately put up his arm, and declined to let me pass. I turned back for a moment, when I saw Stillbrook, closely followed by Cummings and Gowing, make for the entrance. I watched them, and thought I would have a good laugh at their expense, I heard the porter say:" Where from?" when, to my surprise, in fact disgust, Stillbrook replied:" Blackheath," and the three were immediately admitted.

Gowing called to me across the gate, and said:" We shan't be a minute." I waited for them the best part of an hour. When they appeared they were all in most excellent spirits, and the only one who made an effort to apologise was Mr, Stillbrook, who said to me:" It was very rough on you to be kept waiting,but we had another spin for S. and B.'s" I walked home in silence; I couldn't speak to them. I felt very dull all the evening, but deemed it advisable NOT to say anything to Carrie about the matter.

没有评论:

发表评论