2010年7月6日星期二

A seventeen monkey

Farmerson came round to attend to the scraper himself. He seems a very civil fellow. He says he does not usually conduct such small jobs personally, but for me he would do so. I thanked him, and went to town. It is disgraceful how late some of the young clerks are at arriving. I told three of them that if Mr. Perkupp, the principal, heard of it, they might be discharged.

Pitt, a monkey of seventeen, who has only been with us six weeks, told me "to keep my hair on!" I informed him I had had the honour of being in the firm twenty year, to which he insolently replied that I "looked it." I gave him an indignant look, and said:" I demand from you some respect, sir." He replied:" All right, go on demanding." I would not argue with him any further. You cannot argue with people like that. In the evening Gowing called, and repeated his complaint about the smell of paint. Gowingis sometimes very tedious with his remarks, and not always cautious; and Carrie once very properly reminded him that she was present.

没有评论:

发表评论