2010年7月14日星期三

The one about banisters

Spent the whole of the afternoon in the garden, having this morning picked up at a bookstall for fivepence a capital little book, in good condition, on GARDENING. I procured and sowed some half-hardy annuals in what I fancy will be a Carrie. Carie came out rather testy, I thought. I said:" I have just discovered we have got a lodging-house." She replied:" How do you mean?" I said:" Look at the BOARDERS." Carrie said:" Is that all you wanted me for?" I said:" Any other time you would have laughed at my little pleasantry." Carrie said:" Certainly-AT ANY OTHER TIME, but not when I am busy in the house." The stairs looked very nice. Gowing called, and said the stairs looked ALL RIGHT, but it made the banisters look ALLL WRONG, and suggested a coat of paint on them also, which Carrie quite agreed with. I walked round to putley, and fortunately he was out, so I had a good excuse to let the banisters slide. By-the-by, that is rather funny.

没有评论:

发表评论