2010年7月26日星期一

A letter about appriciate

Could scarely sleep a wink through thinking of having brought up Mr. and Mrs. James from the country to go the theatre last night, and his having paid for a private box because our order was not honoured, and such a poor play too, I wrote a very satirical letter to Merton, the wine merchant, who gave us the pass, and said, "Considering we had to pay for our seats, we did our best to appreciate the performance." I thought this line rather cutting, and I asked Carrie how many p's there were in appreciate, and she said, " One." After I sent off the letter I looked at the dictionary and found there were two. Awfully vexed at this.

Decided not to worry myself any more about the James's; for, as Carrie wisely said, "We'll make it all right with them by asking them up from Sutton one evening next week to paly at Bezique."

没有评论:

发表评论