2010年7月18日星期日

The one about forgiveness

Though I would write a kind little note to Gowing and Cummings about last Sunday, and warning them against Mr. Stillbrook. Afterwards, thinking the matter over, tore up the letters and determined not to WRITE at all, but the SPEAK quietly to them. Dumfounded at receiving a sharp letter from Cummings, saying that both he and Gowing had been waiting for an explanation of MY (mind you, MY) extraodinary conduct coming home on Sunday. At last I wrote:" I thought I was the aggrieved party; but as I freely forgive you, you-feeling yourself aggrieved-should bestow forgiveness on me." I have copied this VERBATIM in the diary, because I think it is one of the most perfect and thoughtful sentences I havce ever written, I posted the letter, but in my own heart I felt I was actually apologising for having been insulted.

没有评论:

发表评论